Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Apple Music Classical

 I have to take a minute to share the news of the release of Apple Music Classical. I have only been waiting for the last 3 years for it to come out and it finally happened. 

Before Covid reached America, I heard that Apple Music was working on a completely classical app with much more in depth coverage of classical music. I preordered this back in January of 2020 and 3 years later it came out.

I wanted to take a blog post to talk about why this is exciting and what implications this new app has for us. The app uses metadata which allows you to search for music under different criteria. For example, before when looking for Boston Symphony performing Mahler 1, the artist would be Boston Symphony and the title would be Symphony 1. Good luck finding it. Everyone has a symphony 1, just click through and hope you find it, memorize its position or album art cover I guess. 

But now with Apple Music Classical you can search by composer, performer, title, even conductor. You can search by ensemble, instrumentation, even genre like baroque or romantic. This app is exciting not just because it is easier to find exactly what you are looking for but also because you can find new things quicker with more information.

The next post I will tell you about the new pieces I discovered with the new app.










1 comment:

  1. Do you think the new search is an improvement on those used by other services? Sounds to me like Apple had to design a new database for this.

    ReplyDelete

Norwegian Wind Ensemble - Baroque Concert

 If you need another example of some absolutely amazing baroque brass playing you absolutely should check out this concert led by Mark Benne...