Saturday, February 11, 2023

Pergolesi Mystery and Lies Uncovered

Sonata No. 4 by Pergolesi (arr. Schmidt)-

This arrangement I have is for brass trio; trumpet, horn, and trombone, but I do not have a score so I decided to look for a score thinking that it should be public domain and easily found. I was very wrong!

In my search for this score I could only find this arrangement done by Chicago Trombone Consort



I knew that Stravinsky's Pulcinella used many themes from Pergolesi so I thought I would listen to it to try to find this theme. Luckily, I heard it only 5:30 into the almost 40:00 recording at the Scherzino.



After painstaking researching for many moons (couple hours) I found that

"Stravinsky's ballet is a parody based on 21 pieces transmitted under Giovanni Battista Pergolesi's name and taken from various contexts. 4 are from Pergolesi's Frate 'nnamorato, 3 from Flamino, one from the cantata luce deli occhi mine, and one from the violoncello Sonata. The rest of the pieces have been incorrectly attributed to Pergolesi; one is a modern forgery." (1)

As it turns out this piece has not only a different composer, but also goes by a different name; Trio Sonata No. 2 in B-flat Major by Domenico Gallo. Here is a recording with the original instrumentation; 2 violin and basso continuo with harpsichord accompagnamento.


The score I found that resembles the last recording has a pick up to beat 3, whereas the parts that I have have a pickup to beat 1. This would change significantly the emphases placed on phrase and how it is performed.

Although I solved one mystery, many more have come up, such as; what Stravinsky quote is a forgery? Why are the brass arrangements titled Sonata No. 4? Where is the original score that Stravinsky claimed to write all over the top of? Why are not all 12 Sonatas on IMSLP? Why do the scores have different placement of the downbeat?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I got to witness you go down this rabbit hole of information!

    ReplyDelete

Norwegian Wind Ensemble - Baroque Concert

 If you need another example of some absolutely amazing baroque brass playing you absolutely should check out this concert led by Mark Benne...